Translate

Thursday, March 14, 2013

France - Week 3 (St. Brieuc)

Here's our most recent letter from Elder Davis!
 
3/11/13
 
Hello everyone!
 
Life is good here in Saint Brieuc! This past week was pretty tough, but despite all the ups and downs, missionary work is awesome. Last week was "vacance" here in France which means pretty much everyone gets out of school for the week and gets out of work and goes on vacation. So lots of our investigators were out of town and we couldn't see them at all which is always a bummer.
I'm pretty sure this past week we got no-showed 8 or 9 different times for appointments. It's frustrating because there isn't anything we can do about that. Oh well, Elder Adams and I are really excited for this upcoming week. Everyone will be back in town and we have lots of lessons scheduled.
 
Oh, last week I went on my first exchange. An exchange is when you spend 24 hours with a missionary other than your regular companion. Elder Adams went to Rennes (about an hour south and east of Saint Brieuc I think) and Elder Lerdahl (one of our zone leaders) came to Saint Brieuc from Rennes to work with me. It was kind of an interesting experience because Elder Lerdahl has never been to Saint Brieuc before so I was responsible for getting us to appointments and what not. One of the miracles of the week was I didn't get us lost which is very easy to do here in France!
 
On our exchange we had a lesson with a blind man (I cant remember if I told you about him already or not). His name is Claude Franchard and the lesson was awesome! The spirit was so strong during the whole lesson. We had a great discussion and its really amazing to me how much faith and desire he has to follow Christ. The lesson was going so well and the spirit was so strong that I invited him to be baptized... And he accepted! We set a date for March 30th so we are excited for him and hope that he will continue on the path that he is on.
 
Oh, on our exchange we went out to eat. We got these things called Kebabs. I've never heard of them before my mission so I don't think they're in America. They're super good though, google it!
 
Lets see, what else happened this week... Since a lot of our appointments fell through Elder Adams and I spent a lot of time porting (port is the word for door in French, so "porting" is going door to door in a neighborhood and talking to people about our message). Porting is really fun! Sometimes it's a little intimidating, but you meet all sorts of people and have all kinds of different experiences.
 
Oh, some of you have been asking me about Elder Pymm (serving in the Everett Washington Mission) and his sister, Sister Pymm serving in my mission. Turns out Sister Pymm was in my district the past couple weeks (she has since been transferred) so I got to talk to her a little bit at district meeting. Small world. Get this though, so sister Pymm got transferred, and the sister missionary who took her place is Sister Kohlert, Damon Robert's Cousin!!! It's crazy haha, I haven't seen her yet but she's in my district so I'll see her every week at district meeting. Once again, small world.
Let's see, what else... this week we had to give up the car to the missionaries who are serving in Vannes so we've been doing a lot of walking. It's keeping me in shape that's for sure. Especially because Elder Adams is so much taller than me I have to walk much faster than normal to keep up with him haha. Elder Adams is awesome. We always have a good time with whatever we're doing. Whether we're walking around in the pouring down rain or contacting people on the street or whatever, we always have a good time. Our goal as a companionship is to speak only French whenever we're out of the apartment. That's really helped my French.
Anyways, life is good and France is awesome. I love and miss all of you. I hope you are all keeping busy and finding joy and success in all the things you are involved in. If any of you have a few thousand bucks laying around, I'd recommend taking a trip to France!
 
Please write :)
Until next week,
Elder Davis
 
 
Pictures!!
 
#1 Another awesome lunch
 
#2 Close up of the mini missionaries sister Kefford made for us. She is super talented. She even got the hair right!
 
#3 Me and Elder Adams with our little missionary twins Sister Kefford made for us.
 
#4 Me, Elder Adams, Sister Monique Kefford (nicest woman in France; feeds us lunch every Friday and made those little missionaries for us) Jean-Christophe, a return missionary who is in our branch
 
#5 Me in front of an old Cathedral. theres a bunch of buildings like this scattered all over Saint Brieuc and France
 
#6  Brother Banks and I. He is from England and has the most awesome british accent ever. His French isn't super great, but he is always helping us with our lessons. If everyone in the world was like brother Banks, the world would be translated. He would do anything for anyone. This picture was done on a day we were doing service at his house so that's why we aren't in shirts and a tie. Brother Banks and Sister Kefford are our favorite people here in Saint Brieuc!
 
#7 Elder Adams and me. The sign says "the laughing horse" in English.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment