Translate

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

France - Week 5 (St. Brieuc)

Here's our letter from Elder Davis! :)


Bonjour! Comment allez-vous???
I can't believe I am about to start the last week of my first transfer. I seriously feel like I landed in France yesterday. Time flies when you're a missionary.
So this last week was pretty good. Last week (during P-Day while I was writing my last email home), we had an investigator randomly come to the church (where we write our emails) and say he wanted to talk to us about the church! That never happens! After we picked our jaws up from off the ground we gave him a tour of the church, a book of Mormon and set up another appointment. This investigator (his name is Jean-Claud) is the hitch hiker Brother Banks picked up off the street. He is so legit! He knows the Bible like the back of his hand and is just dying to learn more about the Book of Mormon. Keep Jean Claud in your prayers.
This week I went on an exchange with Elder Joshua Wallace from Orange County California. Elder Wallace is an awesome missionary who went to BYU Hawaii for a year before his mission and is studying music. He wants to write positive, clean music after his mission for Disney (he loves Disney because Disney Land is right by his house).
We had a great time on our exchange and saw a mini miracle during it. After a lesson with a less active member (it was about 8:30 at night) we were on our way home in the dark and pouring down rain. We wanted to get home ASAP because of the weather, but for missionaries the rule is to not return home before 9 pm. It would have been easy to just justify going home early, but elder Wallace and I decided to contact people on the street until 9. I'm so thankful we did! Even though it was raining we talked to two awesome people back to back. We got their phone numbers and an appointment with them for later in the week. To me this is a miracle because all that day for probably 3 or so hours, we contacted a bunch of people the same way, but nobody was interested in us or what we had to say. Obedience brings blessings.
On Thursday we went to Paris for a zone conference. Elder Kent F. Richards of the 2nd Quorum of the 70 (a leader of the church) was there and gave a great message. Paris was awesome, but I still didn't have time to see the Eiffel Tower or anything! Oh well, I will eventually. At the zone conference I saw Elder Manivan from Mays Pond WA! He's doing well!
 
Oh I had KFC when I was in Paris for Zone conference. It pretty much tasted the same as American KFC. That was my first time eating American fast food here in France. It’s basically the same, you just get less food for more money here. Oh and on Friday a member fed us lunch (Sister Kefford feeds us every Friday afternoon). This week she fed us rabbit stew so that was another first for me. It wasn't too bad, but I wasn't a big fan of all the bones that nearly choke you to death. I'd recommend it though haha.
 
Yesterday we had district conference (like stake conference but for a small "stake"). A different general authority (Elder Donaldson of the 70) talked to us and that was great. The whole 2 hour meeting was in French and I probably understood 90 - 95 percent of what was said. My French and French understanding is really improving. My religious vocabulary is pretty good, it's just the regular everyday words that I still need to work on along with pronunciation/my thick American accent haha.
Sorry, no pictures this week. I don't have much more time to write today because Brother Banks from our branch is taking us to the driving range for our P-Day. We are super excited for that. Talk to you next week!
Love,
Elder Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment