Translate

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

France - Week 68 (Versailles)

6/16/14

Hey everyone!

I just need to start off by saying..... I CAN'T BELIEVE MY SISTER IS STARTING HER MISSION ON WEDNESDAY! Geez, that's so crazy to me. I'm so proud of her.

 I won't see her from December 2012 (when I left) until December 2015 (when she gets back)... But I know she's going to have an awesome experience and see lots of miracles in Russia. 

Plus, seeing her again in 2015 is going to be a pretty awesome reunion!

Ok, so let me see... what the heck did I do this week....

I did a ton of exchanges, gave a training to some other missionaries, met some cool people, met some crazy people, ate a lot of spicy food, had to fix a leaky sink, etc.

I feel like the days just kind of all run together. Looking back I know I had a good week and I know I did a lot of cool things, but I'm struggling to find specific stories. 

Maybe I can tell you about a cool couple I'm teaching... For fun, we'll change their names and call him Pierre (that's a nice french name, right?) and we'll call his wife Adèle (another nice french name, no?)

So, Pierre was a member of the chuch, but was excommunicated about 30 years ago. He also married his wife Adèle around that time. They went on with their lives, had children and were pretty content with how things were going. She was very practicing catholic, and he was kind of just floating in no-mans-land concerning religion. Anyways, recently one of his sons (who was born to Pierre's first wife)... who we'll call Jerry (sorry, I'm out of french names)... Is a return missionary and wanted more than anything for his father and step-mother to join the church. 

By his example, and in talking to his father little by little over these 30 years... Jerry was able to soften his father's heart. Something "clicked" and the spiritual embers in Pierre's heart started to burn again.

Pierre said he would be accepting to see some missionaries (#that'swherewecomein). We started teaching Pierre, and things went well, but Adèle didn't really have the intention of participating in our discussions. She was a "c'est bien ce que vous faites, mais j'ai ma religion et ça m’intéresse pas!" type person... BUT! With a little charm ;) and a lot of help from the spirit, she too was intrigued to see what we had to say. 

We started teaching them both. We started with the basics and invited them to pray and ask God if what we were saying is true. 

Turns out.... they decided to ACTUALLY do it! And what do you know... by their own experiences, and by answers they received to their own prayers.... they know that the church is true!

So... tout simplement... Pièrre and Adèle are Legit... They haven't missed church in 4 weeks and everytime we teach them the spirit just bounces off the walls.

Pièrre said "si c'était ma choix, je me baptiserais demain!" which for you english speakers means.. if it was my choice, I'd be baptized tomorrow!

Adèle, also wants to be baptized with her husband!

Now we have to keep our fingers crossed while Pièrre talks to the stake president about some things... but until then I'm just waiting to fill up that baptismal font!! 

SOOOO, let me recap... French man gets excommunicated... and 30 years later his son is able to rekindle the spiritual fire in his coeur. Now he AND his wife both want to be baptize.

Moral of the story.... never give up on anyone. It's never too early or too late for people to change their lives and follow the example of Jesus Christ.

Man I love being a missionary.

So yeah... That was one story from this week. 

Have a great week everyone. je vous aime bien fort! Bisous, bisous
Elder Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment