Translate

Monday, August 5, 2013

Belguim - Week 21 (Brussels)

7-15-13
 
Bonjour Toute le Monde,

J'espère que vous avez passé une bonne semaine. La vie est belle ici en Belgique. 

We had such an awesome week here in Brussels. Tons of success and tons of miracles. This is probably the most success I've had on my mission so far. Yesterday at church we had 4 people there. We had a young African family with a young daughter and another investigator from Spain who only speaks Spanish. We also found a ton of new investigators/potential investigators and fixed some baptismal dates. Missionary work is exploding here. 

This week we had to help some other missionaries move from one apartment to another. During the move we spent a lot of time with Elder Oakelberry a senior missionary. He served his mission in Paris back in the day at the same time as Mitt Romney. Pretty cool huh? He had lots of experiences with Elder Romney so it was fun listening to his stories. 

On Friday we met this cool old guy who learned English from watching American movies. His English is actually pretty good, but he has an interesting vocabulary haha. So I guess if you want to learn another language just watch movies in your language of choice for many years. 

We had a lesson last night with an African named Adelbert. When we got to his house he let us in and told us to sit down. Then he quickly went upstairs and didn't come back for like 15 or 20 minutes. We were awkwardly talking to his family members who were very uninterested in us during this time. When he came back, he was wearing dress pants and a white shirt and tie haha. He looked almost exactly like a missionary. Super funny, my jaw about hit the floor when I saw him. He said he wanted to dress up like us to show his respect and reverence for the spiritual discussion we were about to have. After our lesson he wanted to go do missionary work with us including knocking on doors. We didn't let him, but man I love Africans haha. 

My new missionary tactic these days is contacting people with American Sports teams or logos on their clothing. Last night I talked to this guy on the metro with a NY Yankees jersey on and he was pretty legit. We were just small talking and after a few minutes he opened up to me and asked me if I could help him stop drinking. I told him I could and got his phone number and everything. He also taught me some Swahili so that was fun. Apparently Hakuna Matata is Swahili for "All is well". And all this time while watching the lion king as a kid I thought it was just some guy making stuff up. 

Anyways... Life is good. The weather is nice and sunny but not super hot so that is cool. I have a really interesting missionary tan complete with the watch tan. 

The church is true. I get to watch it change lives each and every day. Have a great week everyone.

Elder Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment